Frequently Asked Questions

If you don’t see your questions here, please contact us.

When can I apply as a transfer?

We only accept junior level transfers, which means that you have completed 60-86 semester units or 90-129 quarter units by the time you enter UCLA.

What is the minimum required GPA to transfer to UCLA Engineering?

To be eligible for consideration, applicants must have a minimum transferable cumulative GPA of 3.4. However, admission to HSSEAS is very competitive, and for most majors, you need to have a major prep GPA of 3.8 or better to be competitive.

Do I need to complete all of the required major prep before transferring to UCLA?

To be competitive, you should complete all of the required major prep courses by no later than the end of the spring semester prior to transfer (i.e. Fall 2018 applicants should finish all major prep by the end of Spring 2018). In some majors, it may still be possible to be admitted if you are missing one major prep course, but students who complete all of the major prep will be given priority over students who are missing a course.

Do courses taken the summer immediately before transfer count?

Courses taken the summer immediately prior to transfer (i.e. Summer 2018 courses for a Fall 2018 applicant) are not considered to be part of the application and will not be considered towards fulfilling transfer requirements. However, if you are admitted to HSSEAS, any transferable courses taken prior to matriculation may still count towards satisfying a graduation requirement.

Do I have to complete IGETC?

HSSEAS will accept the full IGETC certification, but it is not required nor will it affect your chances of being admitted. While we do not discourage completing IGETC, we recommend that applicants to HSSEAS focus primarily on completing the major prep courses first. To be eligible for admission, we require at least one General Education course in either the Humanities, Arts, or Social Sciences. We do not accept partial IGETC.

If I did not finish IGETC, what happens to those courses that I took that fulfilled some of the IGETC categories?

Any courses that were taken towards the IGETC certification will be evaluated on an individual basis, and depending on the subject matter of the course, it may still be equivalent to a UCLA course and satisfy one of our GE categories.  For example, if you take an American Government course, it will be evaluated for credit, and that course could be equivalent to UCLA’s POL SCI 40, which fulfills the Social Analysis GE area.

How are “W” grades treated?

As long as there is not an excessive number of “W” grades in the major prep courses, it should not affect your chances of admission. If you have more than two “W” grades in the major prep, you may want to explain the situation in one of the essays.

How are repeated courses treated?

Repeats of courses in which you earn a “C” or better are not allowed, and only the original grade will be considered. If you earn a grade below a “C” in a major prep course and you repeat it, both the original grade and the new grade will be calculated into the major prep GPA.

Do extracurricular activities affect my chances of admission?

We make our decisions primarily on your performance in the major prep courses. However, students who are borderline cases can be helped by strong essays and extracurricular activities. Activities that demonstrate a strong interest in engineering will be the most helpful to your application. Overcoming obstacles and life challenges will also be taken into account, as long as the academic performance is also strong.

If I am admitted to UCLA as a transfer student to a major outside of HSSEAS, can I change to an Engineering major later?

No, transfer students who apply to a non-HSSEAS major will not be allowed to change to an Engineering major once admissions decisions have been released.

What is the difference between Academic Counseling and Faculty Advising?

– Academic Counseling: If you have any academic questions or need help with planning courses, you should meet with a counselor in 6426 Boelter Hall. Visit OASA Counselors page for more information on how to make an appointment.
– Faculty Advising: Faculty advisors are available if you have questions that your academic counselors may not be able to answer. They can provide advice about graduate school, undergraduate research, and job opportunities in the industry. This is a great way to connect to a faculty in your department, so make sure to take advantage of this program. Visit OASA Faculty Advising page for more information about Faculty Advising.

I submitted a Petition Form, where do I get the result?

Students MUST pick up petition results in 6426 Boelter Hall. For more information about petition, see OASA Petition Process page.

Can transfer students take GE courses at a community college?

Community College/Lower Division Transfer Limit. After completing 105 quarter units toward the degree in all institutions attended, students are allowed no further unit credit for courses completed at a community college or for lower division courses completed at any institution outside of the University of California.

Should I take GE with P/NP grade or letter grade?

It depends on your circumstances. First, you must meet P/NP eligibility requirements. For more details, stop by 6426 BH or go to Deadlines and Enrollment Policies page. You can choose to take P/NP grade to worry less about grades, or you can choose letter grade to boost your GPA. You should meet with a counselor to see which option is best for you.

Where is Science and Engineering Library (SEL)?

The Science and Engineering Library (SEL) comprises two locations: SEL/Boelter (main location) in 8270 Boelter Hall and SEL/Geology in 4697 Geology Building. Check out the SEL website for more information about available services.

How can I use computers in the Computer Labs?

If you don’t already have one, you will need to create an account. Students may apply for an account online by going to If you would like to get help in person, you can visit the SEASnet Help Desk in 2684 Boelter Hall. Check out the SEASnet website for more information on their services.

Where are some studying spaces around South campus?

– Engineering Transfer Center Conference Room – 6288-B BH

– ESUC Lounge – 5800 BH

– Study room across Boelter Engineering Library


What is Student Creativity Center (SCC)?

The SCC was built in 2012 to create a space for students to work on year-long projects. Student groups must apply to occupy a room. Check out this page for more information as well as the locations of student groups’ workrooms.